The Ultimate Engineered Timber Log!Naturally grown timber logs are by their very nature one of the best building materials available. However due to the way trees grow they will always have branch knots, uneven growth rings and are also not always as straight as they ideally could be. How tall a tree grows also restricts the length of beams that can be milled from the tree.
These natural limitations do not apply to engineered GluLam Logs ("GluLams"). The term "glulam" is an abbreviation for "Glue-Laminated Timber". GluLams are made with multiple layers of solid pieces of wood bonded together with high-strength adhesive to form a single structural unit, meaning it is still made from wood but is machined and assembled to precise specifications to create a predictable, dimensionally stable building material.
GluLams are versatile and innovative construction materials used widely in residential projects, in particular in the construction of solid timber log buildings. Our European manufacturers use only GluLam logs with an overseas strength rating of either GL24 (equivalent to our local standards GL12 in accordance with AS/NZS 1328.1 – 1998) or for larger beams GL28 (equivalent to our local standards between GL12 and GL13 in accordance with AS/NZS 1328.1 – 1998). This by far exceeds the minimum requirements for wall and structural beams used in our log cabins.
GluLam beams offer superior strength and stiffness over traditional timber logs, and are kilo-for-kilo stronger than steel. GluLams are not only strong, cost-effective, and highly customizable; they're also resource-efficient because they are made with relatively small pieces of timber to create a sizable wood beam that would otherwise require large, old-growth timber.
The main benefits of GluLam logs are:
• No cracks that can normally occur in timber logs
• Superior structural strength
• GluLam logs settle less than standard logs
• Eco-friendly material with very low formaldehyde levels
• Capable of creating unsupported spans of over 500 feet
• Reduced transportation and handling costs
• Easy installation and surface repair
• Customizable to fit special needs
• Manufactured to precise dimensions
• Produced in well-managed forests and certified to relevant standards
• Long log spans enabling the build of more complex and larger buildings
• Good fire resistance - can outlast steel beams under the same fire conditions